Welcome to the Official Damage Inc. Website!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Official Damage Inc. Website!

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New WoW Security Token now available

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Goodvibes
Developing User
Developing User
Goodvibes

Male
Number of posts : 45
New WoW Security Token now available Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New WoW Security Token now available Right_bar_bleue

Who do you Play? : Goodvibes, Tirog, Azreoth, Mortalsteak
Registration date : 2008-06-08

New WoW Security Token now available Empty
PostSubject: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:14 am

Article found at http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/766?ref=rss

World of Warcraft to get bank-like security
Published: 2008-06-30

Players of the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft can now use two-factor authentication similar to what many banks and investment firms have adopted, developer Blizzard announced last week.

The Blizzard Authenticator, a key fob with a button and small liquid-crystal display, generates a six-digit number every thirty seconds and will display the code when the user presses the button. Once the authenticator is registered to an account, using a unique serial number on the back of the device, a player will have to enter their password and the six-digit code to access their account.

"It's important to us that World of Warcraft offers a safe and enjoyable game environment," Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment, said in a statement announcing the additional security measure. "One aspect of that is helping players avoid account compromise, so we're pleased to make this additional layer of security available to them."

The news comes a week after Microsoft found an enormous number of PCs infected with Trojan horse programs designed to steal online-game credentials. Online game accounts have been increasingly valuable in the underground economy, especially in the Asia Pacific region.

A number of banks, such as E*TRADE, as well as online payment service PayPal have adopted such physical tokens as a way increasing the security of their services. Such security is not unhackable, but it forces attackers to piggyback on a victim's banking session in real time, limiting the attack window. Moreover, such attacks may not work in an online game such as World of Warcraft.

The authenticator can be bought from the Blizzard Store for $6.50.

Token can be found at the Blizzard store http://www.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000182

On a personal note, having two accounts compromised in the past (mine and my wife’s), any security layers for account authentication is definitely worth it (especially for this small price).

Happy gaming! YES SIR
Back to top Go down
evimoon
evimoon

Female
Number of posts : 95
Hobbies : WoW, WoW, and WoW
New WoW Security Token now available Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100New WoW Security Token now available Right_bar_bleue

Who do you Play? : Evimoon (of course), Killerkow, Bludmoon, and a couple banks
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 am

That sounds like a good idea! I looked at the Blizz store and they are all sold out right now. If you bought one will you share how well it works for you and if it is a good investment?

Thanks! alien
Back to top Go down
Goodvibes
Developing User
Developing User
Goodvibes

Male
New WoW Security Token now available Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New WoW Security Token now available Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 am

I will, as soon as I get them and test them. If anyone else hears or reads anything about them, please post a reply.

-GV
Back to top Go down
Hortencia
Intermediate User
Intermediate User
Hortencia

Female
Number of posts : 76
Hobbies : Alacrity and frequent attempts at facetiousness.
New WoW Security Token now available Left_bar_bleue20 / 10020 / 100New WoW Security Token now available Right_bar_bleue

Who do you Play? : Hortencia and Nine Mules
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 11:16 pm

I'll be getting one of these. What an awsome idea. Smile
Back to top Go down
Goodvibes
Developing User
Developing User
Goodvibes

Male

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 am

The token is available again cheers . I just placed my order for 2 (one for my wife and one for me) here.

Better order quick. The last batch was out within the first week.

Good
Back to top Go down
lwuajiro
Basic User
Basic User

Male
Number of posts : 23
Hobbies : World Of Warcraft
New WoW Security Token now available Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100New WoW Security Token now available Right_bar_bleue

Who do you Play? : lwuajiro
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 am

Token? what Token?
Back to top Go down
Goodvibes
Developing User
Developing User
Goodvibes

Male

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 10:50 am

Scroll up, you big Orc!!1!! Rolling Eyes

Isn't there a mage around that can cast an Intel Buff on this guy?!?1 geek
Back to top Go down
Goodvibes
Developing User
Developing User
Goodvibes

Male

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 am

So after ordering the token, and the 2 weeks for it to arrive, I have it associated with my account.

I have to say that the addtional security layer is nice. Once you have one of the security tokens associated with your account, you cannot log into the game or log into the account management section of the WoW website without the token (it can be disassociated with a phone call to Bliz and your secret question stuffs).

The token generates a unique key (is not the same on other keys) for you to log in (tested it with my wife's token).

So....Dear hackers....Try to get in now...Assholes!!1! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New WoW Security Token now available   New WoW Security Token now available Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New WoW Security Token now available
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Official Damage Inc. Website! :: Damage Inc Talk :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: